The Etobicoke Humane Society is all-volunteer run and operates solely on donations. Our policy allows us to schedule adoptions when our volunteer Adoption Coordinators are available throughout the week and on weekends. All of our available animals are listed under “adopt”. If you are interested in meeting one of our animals, please read the steps below.
DOG ADOPTION PROCESS
Adoption fee for a dog: $400 (non refundable)
Please review the dogs available for adoption here. If there is one you’re interested in and you meet the adoption criteria, please come to visit it at the shelter during our daily dog visiting hours 10:30 to 11:30am or 1:30 to 4:30pm, as that is the first step in the adoption process. If you are not available during our visiting hours you may make an appointment with the dog’s adoption coordinator listed on the dog’s posting. It is recommend that you call our office on the day you wish to visit to check that the dog will be available for viewing.
- After you have met the dog, if you are interested in adopting it you should complete an online Dog Adoption Form. The dog’s adoption coordinator will contact you to confirm receipt of your application and outline next steps in the process. Please keep in mind that there are often numerous applicants for one dog and adoption coordinators are volunteers with busy schedules of their own.
- We want to ensure both you and the dog are a good fit for each other. We will review the adoption guidelines with you and ask questions about your background, experience with dogs and your living situation. All dog adoptions require a home visit with all household members present. If you rent or live in a condo or apartment, written consent from your landlord or management is required prior to a home visit.
- If your application is accepted, you will be asked to sign our adoption contract and pay the non-refundable adoption fee. Adoption fees help defray the cost of animal care we provide at EHS.
CAT ADOPTION PROCESS:
Adoption fee for a cat: $150/single cat or $250/bonded pair (non refundable)
Please review our cats available for adoption here and read the description of each cat. Within the description, it will state if the cat/kitten you are interested in is currently in foster care or at the shelter. If the cat is in foster, simply fill out an online Adoption Form to request a visit.
Cats at the shelter can be seen between 10:30-11:30 in the morning and 1:00-4:00 in the afternoon Monday to Friday. On the weekends, you may visit the cats throughout the day between 10:30am-4:00pm.
We are also happy to also arrange visits during the evenings by appointment – just email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out an online Adoption Form. Kittens are not available for viewing between 2:00-3:00pm daily as they have an extra rest period during this time.
- To adopt, choose a cat/kitten and complete the online Adoption Form. An adoption coordinator will then contact you within 24-48 hours to discuss your application, and schedule an adoption interview . If you haven’t met the cats yet, and aren’t sure which cat might be the best fit, that’s ok. Just fill out the online Adoption Form and our friendly adoption coordinators can help you find your match. On the weekends, adoption coordinators are on site to review adoption applications immediately and proceed with the interview, provided all other requirements are met.
- We want to ensure both you and the animal are a good fit for each other, and we do our best to find the right home for every cat. A coordinator will review the adoption guidelines with you in person and ask questions about your background, experience with pets and living situation. If you live in a condo, please check with your building management whether any condo by-law restrictions limit or prohibit you from getting a cat.
- If your adoption application is accepted, you will sign our adoption contract, pay the non-refundable $150 adoption fee and be on your way home with your new family member. We can also arrange for you to pick up your new cat within a couple of days of adoption if you need the time to prepare your home. Adoption fees help defray the cost of the animal care we provide at EHS.
General requirements to adopt a cat from the animal shelter:
- Bring your whole household to meet the cat
- Provide government issued photo identification
- Provide contact info for current and/or previous vet (if applicable)
- Fill out an adoption form and attend an interview with an adoption coordinator
- If approved, read and sign the adoption contract and pay adoption fees
- Bring your own secure carrier to transport the cat home
- Once the adoption is finalized, purchase an animal license from Toronto Animal Services or your local animal control
If you have any questions about this process or about any specific cat, please email email@example.com, and one of our volunteers would be pleased to provide additional information.